Walton provides its young people with a learning environment characterized by quality instruction. The school district educates nearly 1,200 students. The Elementary School, Middle School and Walton High School all boast excellent libraries and computer labs. Many Walton students go on to higher educational facilities, often in the upstate area.
Three buildings comprise the school system:
- Townsend School:
Houses grades K-5, has been recently renovated.
Townsend School Website
- Dr. George F. Mack Middle School:
Houses grades 6-8, was completed in 1990 and is attached to the High School complex.
Middle School Website
- O’Neill High School:
Built in 1961 and was recently renovated. This building houses grades 9-12.
High School Website
Facilities for Students:
- Computer Assisted Instruction Labs are available in the Elementary and Middle School buildings.
- Two additional computer labs were added to the High School in 1999.
- There are extensive libraries in each building.
- Four gymnasiums are available.
- A Foreign Language Lab is available for all students.
- Two cafeterias serve breakfast and lunch to the school population.
- Business Office and Maintenance facilities are located on the O’Neill campus.
Facts About Walton Central School District:
- The Walton Schools are accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, grades K-12.
- Elementary students average well above grade level in reading and math on the Terra Nova Standardized Achievement Tests.
- Scores on the NYS tests in Grade 4 meet or exceed the state average-2000
- SAT scores are at the state and national averages.
- National Merit Scholarship commendations have been awarded to a number of students. A recent graduate has been named a National Merit Scholarship winner.
- The Junior Achievement Program, Project Business, in cooperation with the Walton Chamber of Commerce and the Private Industry Council, is provided to Grade 8 students.
- Excellent music instruction is provided. The District is one of two in the county to provide an orchestral program in grades K-12.
- A school musical is performed each spring. Students participate in State and County NYSSMA events.
- There is a strong vocational emphasis; many students are annually rec ognized for their accomplishments.
- Walton’ s FFA Chapter is one of three in Delaware County and is highly regarded locally and statewide.
- A Scholastic Achievement Dinner is held each fall to honor those stu dents who earn high grades, and to recognize those students who make extraordinary contributions in the classroom.
* Information used by permission from the Walton School Brochure and their web site.